Friday, December 31, 2004

wishes

It's now the end of 2004 and I find that I'm well into this 2000-era decade and don't really feel "defined". I can look back to the 90's and remember what I was doing in '93, '94, there were landmarks there. Better yet, I feel like I have to make an account for what I've done with the last five years. This decade is already 5 years old, but most recent things have been eclipsed by the last major landmark in my life, which I suppose was my grandfather's death in 1999. But it'd like to highlight just for my own sake, some worthwhile things that have happened from 2000 to date:


2000:

  • Did Speaking of Sarah, Forty Save One, Darrell Mansfield Blues Band, and Zealous album covers for Micah Records
  • Discovered Napster
  • Amel Larrieux released Infinite Possibilities
  • Continued as Tonex's webmaster for TonexWorld.com
  • Crystal Lewis released Fearless.
  • Earthsuit released Kaleidoscope Superior.
  • Moved in with the Alb fam in summer of 2000
  • Recorded "Hallelujah" with Scott Blackwell
  • Recorded "Come In With Your Hands Up" with AJ Mora
  • Saw Crystal Lewis and Out Of Eden live in Anaheim on the Fearless World Tour on September 29th.
  • Cut off my dredlocks for the first time in October
  • Moved into my own room in on Gresham Street for $400/month
  • Began commuting back and forth to Bakersfield to play at Compassion Christian Center

2001:

  • Bought my first copy of Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Life on vinyl
  • Landlord evicted us all from the Gresham Street house so he could move in after his wife passed away
  • Laid off from Micah Media Group
  • Directed in prayer to move back to Bakersfield, CA
  • Received a new computer from my mother
  • August 25, 2001 - Aaliyah's death
  • Sepember 11, 2001 - World Trade Center attacked
  • Spent a miserable winter working for the Housing Authority in Oildale, CA.
  • December, bought Sonic Foundry Remixer's Kit and began learning ACID software.

2002:
  • Moved back to Los Angeles in January
  • Lived in the vocal booth of the recording studio in the backyard of Scott Blackwell's house in February
  • Took job at Castle Peak Escrow in April as an escrow assistant. Had no idea what an escrow was.
  • Moved into my current place in Los Angeles in April.
  • Borrowed keyboard from a friend and began recording You Are Here in May/June.
  • The '89 Pontiac Sunbird named "Bucket"that my grandfather bought in '98 died of a blown gasket on the 405 freeway in July.
  • Bought a brand new [to me] used car in August with the help of my mom and my Uncle David.
  • I took english literature and philosophy courses at CSUN. Got A's in both.
  • Reunited with old friends Aaron and Darnell.
  • Met Charles and Andrea Humphrey and began attending H.O.P.E. Fellowship bible study.
  • Saw Chaka Khan live in concert for the first time ever in Bakersfield on October 3rd.
  • Started my dredlocks November 20th in preparation to audition for American Idol, but didn't make the auditions due to my sister's sudden illness that weekend.
  • Took Spanish class at night and Saturday morning art class at CSUN in the fall & met good friend and future design business partner "Komei".
  • Met "Nefertiti" through Darnell and began dating in the fall.


2003:

  • Went to Big Bear retreat with H.O.P.E.'s House fam in January.
  • Stopped dating Nef in early February. She was not happy.
  • Took Anthropology class at Pierce College in Spring.
  • Performed "Don't Worry (Gotcha)" for the first time with 3 backup dancers at the first annual Gospel Jam Concert in April.
  • Had it up to here and quit Castle Peak Escrow job in May.
  • Started dating Peach in May.
  • Got to meet and hang out with Terry Lewis in June.
  • Took cruise to Mexico with Dre, Chuck, & H.O.P.E.'s House crew in July.
  • Met Kenbo at church in August.
  • Had first H.O.P.E.'s House service on September 7, 2004.
  • Broke up with Peach in October.
  • Had You Are Here mastered and sent it to manufacturing October 31, 2003.


2004:

  • Met friend Hakim while taking history and political science classes at Pierce College in Spring.
  • Performed medley of songs from You Are Here with Tonee, Desiree, and London as backup dancers in the 2nd annual Gospel Jamfest (Andre couldn't make it).
  • Took part-time job at Jewish organization in May.
  • Web design business took off in the summer time.
  • Celebrated one-year anniversary of H.O.P.E.'s House on September 5th.
  • In October, got a cell phone again for the first time in 3 years.
  • Took first guitar lesson on December 21st.
"With a little luck will I find you
And if I do
Is it you who'll make my dreams come true
Just a little bit of happiness
Is all that I wish
And I hope that you can grant me this"
- Nathan Morris, "Wishes"

I think when I look at it, more went down than I thought. There's been a lot of happiness and of course, there were times peppered with drama and trouble, but I'm sure the best is yet to come. I have to say, as exciting as recent times have been, they haven't quite gone as I would have liked them to. So I wanted to paint a more idealized picture of what I'd like this year to be like.


2005:

  • Have a great time on Big Bear getaway weekend in January.
  • Read All You Need To Know About The Music Business by Donald Passman and organize the business side of my music aspirations.
  • Finally get to return to CSUN in the Spring and take at least 12 units of classes with A's in them all.
  • Do websites for at least 3 major label recording artists.
  • Record a new independent album and sell at least 500 copies of it.
  • Take a few hip-hop dance classes.
  • Best friend Aaron moves to Texas successfully and gets his life together.
  • Get good enough at playing the guitar to use it to accompany myself at church and even do acoustic dates at coffee shops and what not.
  • Start caring about being early or punctual to places.
  • Get a better grip on webdesign and learn how to use the nuances of the software I have.
  • Pay off at least one of my credit cards.
  • Pay down the rest of them.
  • Accumulate at least a $1,000 cushion in a saving account for no reason at all.

Conspicuously missing are spiritual goals for the year. I don't really have any. The spiritual leaps I've been able to make in 2004 have been so far beyond what I would have imagined, that I'm perfectly comfortable entrusting that regiment to God. If I notice anything worth bringing up, I'll submit the request midstream. But that's the future. For right now, I'm just really hopeful for what 2005 will bring, so... happy new year!


1 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, January 16, 2005, Blogger Paula said...

I love your last comment. Funny, when we make spiritual goals they seem to fall flat on their squashed little faces--then God comes along and does something big and amazing and though we may walk through the mud first, we find ourselves in a brand, new, lighted place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home