Tuesday, December 21, 2004

i don't need no hollywood

father forgive me. i do believe, i have indulged in a spot of envy. it tasted so good though.

one my goals for 2004 was to learn guitar or at least begin learning. well, my webdesign clientele bulked up so nicely this summer, that i had no time to pick up a guitar and start woodshedding. however, in december i had a look at the list of goals and realized, i could "accomplish" something by just beginning the journey. so, a friend of mine from the church band agreed to give me my first guitar lesson. i was rather reluctant to drive to his hollywood apartment during rush hour (i avoid traffic like cats avoid water), but he was so encouraging and accomodating that i could hardly be so rigid. the trip was surprisingly quick, and man... once i got there, it was Novel City. literally.

i was wide-eyed and forthright with him. i don't think i would ever wanna live there, but something about hollywood and all of it's storybook-glaze and yellow-brick-road garishness... every little business bearing an immodest neon sign begging to be looked at... it just brings out in green sappling small town boy in me. it was like i was fresh off the bus from bakersfield chewin' on straw and grinning vacuously. it was evident all the way down to my unabashed belting out of rufus & chaka khan's "hollywood" as i walked down the street with a guitar strapped to my back and bookbag hanging off one shoulder.

"he's on his way, he's goin' to hollywood, he's bussin' it to hollywood (where you goin' now?) / (what'cha doin', child?) show him the way / he's movin' to hollywood / he's hoppin' it to hollywood (where you goin' now?)" - rufus & chaka khan, "hollywood"
everything impressed me. i thought to myself "look! they have a blockbuster video right across the street from the apartment building!" nevermind the fact that i have a blockbuster video store two blocks down the street from my house. :) what's more, the independent video chains not too far away are so much more inexpensive, that i wouldn't patronize blockbuster anyway. still, it was a big larf to go hang out with him.

he is as virtuouso a guitarist as i know. the guy's only about 3.5 years older than me, but he's just slopping over with talent. he sweats it. and this is coming from me... mr. look-at-me-singindance, look-at-me-play, look-at-me-design-websites, just-look-at-me-please. (lol) still, he plays for some well known artists, and has made a nice little niche for himself with his talent. but he's so down to earth and positive. it's difficult not to like him.

there was a diversity of cds laying around, ranging from early david bowie to late raphael saadiq peacefully coexisting. as a musician, it was kinda interesting to see the colors he paints his environment with. we're both artsy people, so i got a big kick out of seeing his loft compared to my cubicle roomspace. the floors are hard wood, but the area was warm. the walls were adorned with bright abstractionist canvas paintings, but arrogant as to not suit handwritten notes-to-self and other unceremonious riggings. the atmosphere is quiet and urban, but inviting. one of the walls leading to the bathroom was painted bright red which i just found so intriguing and extemporaneous. when i moved into the place where i live, it had hearts and flowers all thru the decor (but after nearly 3 years of living here, i hardly notice them anymore). the building's courtyard is calmly swathed fronds of greenery, but just outside the gate, broad strokes of traffic blur down Sunset Blvd. that dichotomy itself was most entertaining in my head. 'twas all i could do not to skip. i am a grown man, you know. (lol)
"Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy." - Proverbs 14:10
this little side trip did make a nice impact on my senses, but i see my stuff and his stuff... my life and his life... and just check: am i unhappy enough with my own to wish i could make an exchange? not really. my life seems ordinary because i live it, i know it, and i'm familiar with it. his life only seems better today because i just walked into it and explored its epidermis for an hour and a half. if i had to trade my life in, i would give up some things that were made for and shaped just like me.

Been around the whole world, still ain’t seen
Nothin’ like my neighborhood
And of all the fancy satin and silk
My white cotton feels so good
Searched high and low for a place
Where I can lay my burdens down
Ain’t nothin’ in the whole wide world
Like the peace that I have found

It’s the little things and the joy they bring
It’s the little things and joy they bring

As simple as a phone call just to make it known
That you’re gonna be a little late
Pure as a kiss on a cheek and a word
That everything will be okay
Call in the mornin’ from my little sister
Singin’ to me, "Happy Birthday"
In the quest for fortune and fame
Don’t forget about the simple things

It’s the little things and the joy they bring
It's the little things and and joy...

Give me some good food, give me some cute shoes
Give me some peace of mind
Bring me some sunshine, bring me some blue sky

Runnin’ ‘round in circles, lost my focus
Lost sight of my goal
I do this for the love of music
Not for the glitter and gold
Got everything that I prayed for
Even a little more
When I ask to learn humility
This is what I was told

It’s the little things and the joy they bring
It’s the little things, it's the little things

Give me my guitar, give me a bright star
Give me some good news, give me some cute shoes
Give me Atlanta, give me Savannah
Give me my peace of mind
Give me some Stevie, give me some Donny
Give me my daddy, give me my mommy
Pour me some sweet tea, spoonful of honey
I don’t need no Hollywood
- India.Arie, "Little Things"

That probably says it all.

2 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, December 28, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, Mark. Your comment regarding you being able to sing/dance/play/web design hit home. I have been dealing with the same issues and honestly, have been rather ungrateful until I got a "wake up call from Heaven". So brotha, I feel ya!

 
At 5:58 PM, January 02, 2005, Blogger upwords said...

Mark,

That song says it all indeed. Just found you today. I'll definitely be back.

Peace,
Marilynn Griffith

 

Post a Comment

<< Home