Monday, November 22, 2004

for sale: surplus family members

i've got a really great sister, but she's getting on my nerves somethin' fierce tonight, so if somebody else wants her (at least temporarily), make me an offer. for the first time in a long time, i'm actually looking forward to going to my hometown (which since leaving it initially in 1997, i have traditionally avoided at all costs... all). i'm even planning on staying longer than 48 hours on purpose. so why is does she seem to be gearing up days in advance, harassing me via telephone so that i'll be nice and tender and easy to annoy when i arrive?

i've got a friend who recently lost a dear family member, so in effort to prevent her from carrying out plans to spend it non-ceremoniously, i invited her to spend thanksgiving with me and my family. she's so down to earth, i figure she'll fit right in, but since i mentioned that i was bringing her with me, my sister has been... let's say disquieted.

apparently, she's taken offense to me bringing someone down to buffet and dilute any difficulty in spending time with them. i can understand the offense, but it's really not about her. part of me wants to believe she's threatened by females in my life because she's taken issues of various types with enough girls i've been interested in to raise a flag. i want not to believe that's true. but moreso, i want her to get over herself and stop being hard to love. all i want this holiday is some togetherness & good times and right at this point, her unwillingness to participate in the former along with my invited company is putting a strain on my ability to do the latter.

so here i am. my natural reaction to drama is to eliminate everyone causing it. minus the influence of Christ in my life, i'm liable to say "screw all ya'll" and go back to my little niche in California. however. you're stuck with family for life. you can't just quit them like a bothersome job. or i would have completely changed careers back when i was still high school age. i can't avoid them and i can't change them, so...



i don't know. if anybody knows what should follow that ellipsis, feel free to sound off. please note though, if you're more off the chain than i am, i don't wanna hear from you. my goal is to be less crazy, remember? ok? ok. good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home